Username: Password:

Author Topic: Upgrading to Windows 10  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Bobbywires

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Upgrading to Windows 10
« on: September 01, 2015, 06:45:58 PM »
This was a good Microsoft experience.
The little reminders about the upgrade finally wore me down and, it was a slow day, so what the hell. 
I had already agreed to the upgrade and sometime during the last month the necessary files were downloaded and I started getting pestered about doing the upgrade.

Thinking I had a little time between clicking OK and the accrual process starting was not the case. It starts right away and displays cute little notices about the process. I even got one that apologized that it was taking  just a little longer than expected. It took about 2-3 hours. First off this is not like Windows 8! The start button is still there and right clicking on it gives you a great shortcut menu with things like devices,  file manager, command prompt, etc. My desktop didn't change. My IIS - PHP - MySQL stuff all works as before. Seem like the upgrade did a good job of upgrading the device drivers.

Problem: I have 2 screens: a 24" HDMI ViewSonic and a 19" VGA Acer with a Radeon HD 7770 Graphic card. The 24" was sized to big and had to be shrunk using the AMD Control panel. I spent too much time messing around with  "Display and Personalize" until I used the control panel. Explorer is gone, replaced with Explorer Edge which looks like it might work. The raw-recruits website looks great. I'll update this post as I stumble through the process.

Offline WEAREGODS

• Administrator
  • It can't be true! I've been told a different story
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading to Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:10:27 PM »
Yes, please keep us up-to-date with this Bobby, I will be very interested to hear how you get on with 10.

Offline Bobbywires

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »
I knew something would go wrong. I maintain some Sonicwall firewalls for a couple of my clients. I use a Group VPN for access to this equipment. It is a build in VPN on sonicwall equipment. After the upgrade this app would not work. Going to the Sonicwall website I downloaded the latest release on the client which didn't work. Sonicwall tech support said I have to download the app Mobile Connect from the Microsoft Store and use that which didn't work either. After long and unintelligible discussions with the oriental techs I finally figured it out. Thats not the big story!

After one of my many reboots Windows 10 decided that my Admin User ID was not accessible. Panic !!
It had something to do with my Microsoft Account and was a problem in Windows 8.1
I might have switched to the dubious "Sign In with Microsoft Account". I recommend keeping your account "Local".     

Offline Ernesto ep5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 07:43:53 PM »
I work in a repair shop. And I already hear all these nasty NASTY things man!

One lady brought her laptop, upgraded to win10. Her work involves a lot of writing. And she has a lot of files, that she maintains.

After the upgrade, she lost Admin rights to everything. She lost the ability to download and install things.
All the files she works with and probably other file types as well, were altered in such a way, that you could not edit your files anymore. All the files became write-protected.
We thought we had fixed the problem by making a new admin account, and then changing the original one again. And manually removing the write-protect, folder by folder. But that failed now, as she has returned with the laptop.
Text files are behaving so weird, one half portion was editable, and the other half of the text was write-protected.

We are hoping that going back to win7 will fix everything again.

Other stories I heard were; people's screen not working anymore, video card not working anymore, network adapter non functional.

So even though you could upgrade your pc to win10, it doesn't mean it could become a good thing.
Some hardware will just not work, if it's too old, or from some weird brand.. who knows.
And you only have 1 month to go back to win7, after that I guess it means... a full format.

I wish this was disc based,.. not an upgrade.

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 01:16:43 AM »
I stick to Windows 7. Why change..?

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 12:33:17 PM »
I will be upgrading to Windows 10, it makes sense to do so, It will be continually upgraded, 7 will only be supported for so long!

It has improved security, boots faster and works faster. The new browser shows promise too and DirectX 12 threatens to bring new levels of reality to gamers.

BUT, I will not be doing so until around June next year, they rushed this out a little bit and whilst it does seem quite solid, there will be bugs that got through. The real Windows 10 will appear around October in the form of "Threshold 2" or as I would have called it, Service Pack 1!

I expect that I'll see a few more of these SP's or TH's between now and then and better driver support too, so no rush for me.

I will also make sure that I have EVERYTHING backed up.   8)

Offline Bobbywires

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
The new browser Edge doesn't have Adblock available yet. Other that that is really looks and behaves like Crome.

Offline mkers

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:02:05 PM »
I have been using Windows 10 for a couple of months and it pissed me off so much I've gone back to Windows 7.

Some of the problems I've had:

- My browsers were slow.
- Many things running in the background, some you can't turn off such as Windows Defender.
- Slow to boot
- Incompatible programs and apps

If it's anything like this when it's released I'm steering well away from it.

Offline Pakislav

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 05:18:53 PM »
Isn't it already released?

Jesus H Christ... even operating systems are in 'Early Access' now?

Offline mkers

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 05:23:51 PM »
I should have worded that better. It is released as such but what's known as a 'phased release'.

This phase pissed me off.  :o

I must add obviously that's just the experience I've had with it on my PC.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:30:08 PM by mkers »

Offline Ernesto ep5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »
Some of the updates are complete new versions of the operating system, they are not your regular updates.
So yeah i dunno man... the upgrade is free for a year, which is coming to an end. Many wanted to go back to win7, but some users cannot "roll back" because when you use win10 for more than a month, the option to return to previous operating systems, disappears.

I also posted about the latest nvidia driver messing up your pc on win8 or win10..

Yeah i'm also not wanting to go there.. i'm fine where i am.

Offline ydy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 06:56:41 PM »
I thought I'd clone my win7 drive. Boot other and and upgrade to win10. Two drives dual boot. Continue to use win 7 and update win10 time to time until its solid.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:02:00 PM by ydy »

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 07:28:41 PM »
Will the Win 7 still be valid! I doubt that it will.

Offline Ernesto ep5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:59:52 PM »
Im not sure how it works, but maybe it creates a new key from the win7 key and still be both validated. It's on the same machine as well.
Ydy?

Offline ydy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
Key is not the issue what I've read. If you google there instructions how to do this.
But this might have changed. And might be different with what win7 you have OEM or retail. I have retail.