Username: Password:

Author Topic: Goodbye Oldy  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Goodbye Oldy
« on: November 12, 2015, 09:46:53 PM »
It is with great sadness that I have to announce the death of David Rooke, known by many of you by his gaming nickname "Olds" or "Oldg1t". David passed away at his home in Duston Northampton on the 10th of September, his death was the result of a heart attack.

David was the very first member that we recruited and he invested a lot of time and effort into this community, ranging from running our former "training nights" to giving out help and advice to our younger members. I fondly recall how he personally purchased a dozen copies of the Red Orchestra 2 to enable our members to play the game. He had a very kind and generous nature and is greatly missed by the members of this community, many of whom still ask after him. He played a large part in the lives of many of our members, which I have conveyed to his younger Brother William and in turn to his Mother.

Goodbye Oldy, we'll miss you...

yellowbeard

Re: Goodbye Oldy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »
I'm very sad to hear this . Olds was a great old boy and he was a great source of support and helpful advice when I was getting divorced and courting a new lady in his words .... I think I will always remember him rip mate .
I never did rebuild his fireplace I wish I did so I could have met him in person X

Offline Pakislav

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 10:35:28 PM »
We have and will miss you, you miserable, old sod. I don't think anyone was ever willing to listen to me like you did. Nobody has ever warned me of his own regrets like you did. You were the kindest bastard I knew. So kind, in fact that it was hard to handle at times.
I regret that we never got the chance to play together. I regret that I never did send that letter I meant to. I regret I didn't keep in touch when you left RaW. I do not regret having known you. And I hope that I won't make many more regrets in life, just like you insistently told me not to.

I remember our theological debate... Rest in peace non the less my friend.

Offline mkers

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »
Ah some fine times with Oldy, memories we're lucky to have.

I'll miss the grumpy git even more now.

Nos da David.

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 12:02:35 AM »
Talked just once with You, on Mumble. And I remember every word spoken then.

Goodbye David, hope you rest in peace...

Offline WEAREGODS

• Administrator
  • It can't be true! I've been told a different story
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 12:39:02 AM »
We were lucky to have him while we did. He was always willing to listen and did whatever he could to help people. I don't really know what to say here... Christ. I hope you're in a better place now mate, I really do. You were a good friend, man. I wish things had turned out differently. Enjoy the rest Olds, you fuckin earned it mate.

Offline Bobbywires

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 01:42:21 AM »
You will be missed. Don't know if you can hack heaven's network but if you can, give us a shout out.

Offline ydy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 08:39:33 AM »
Really sad news. A man who was always willing to help others, we were lucky to know you.
Had great memorable talks with you in the past.
You will be missed Oldy

Darttus

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »
Rest in peace..

Offline loNgH0p

• RAW Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 03:10:54 PM »
The few conversations we had on mumble (I think one started at sunset, and lasted till sun rise the next day) have, and will stay with me, in hindsight I wish we had had more of them. If listening to people was an Olympic sport, you would have been gold medallist for sure. Which may well have explained why you could also be so god damned grumpy at times, but it never overshadowed your generous and kind hearted nature.

So long Oldy, you will be missed but not forgotten. 

Offline Ernesto ep5

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 08:02:36 PM »
Here is a man that would hold out his hand out to you, even when his own life was a mess. So kind, and understanding. Unrelentless.

I also regret the same things that Pakislav mentioned, so much now.

Rest in peace mate, and bollocks to you!

Offline [RaW]mantika

• RAW Members
  • =) :-* :-P xD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »
You were like a father to me when I joined the RaW community. Kind, patient, attentive... Communication on the Internet creates the illusion of the interlocutor`s immortality. I'd hate to come back to reality. Rest in peace, Oldy. We're together, as long as remember each other...
:'( :'( :'(

Offline Shivaxi

• RAW Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 09:29:33 PM »
When I joined RaW about...8-9 years ago now, he was the first member of RaW I met.  He got me into the community, and we talked for years almost non-stop (mainly about Drum & Bass since we were both so heavily into the genre).  I had the honor of going to London to meet him along with Fluffy, we spent the night there, had a great time, he was more than a friend.  In the back of my mind I sorta saw this coming, and I wish things were not left on the note that it was.

Rest In Peace David, you're always going to be a part of my life.

Offline fear.me.not

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2015, 01:04:19 AM »
truly sad news. olds was one of the worlds true gentlemen. always had time to listen to everyone's problems.
many nights i spent talking to him for hours on end and enjoyed every minute of it. i was one of the lucky ones to have actually met him face to face. you will be really missed by good friends from every corner of the earth.

condolences to his family at this sad time

rest in peace mate 

BOLLOCKS!!!!!!!!  :( :(

Offline FaB-Bo-Peep

• RAW Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 02:00:10 AM »
I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear of David's passing but as many have already said I'm so glad to have had the pleasure of knowing him. You could never have just a quick chat with him as he always had so much information to share and so many fascinating stories to tell, I never tired of listening to him and one of my biggest regrets is that I did not ring him more often! He may have been a grumpy old git at times but on the flip side you could not have met a more caring person, when you talked to him you knew he was genuinely listening and would always respond with thoughtful advice. Not much moves me but I find myself becoming very emotional at this point in writing this so in closing I just wish to say David - thanks for making my life that bit richer and I am proud to be able to call you my friend!

R.I.P. mate and thanks for everything.