Username: Password:

Author Topic: No Man's Sky vs Elite Dangerous  (Read 4681 times)

Offline mkers

• Administrator
    • View Profile
No Man's Sky vs Elite Dangerous
« on: October 21, 2015, 01:40:47 AM »
I know there's Elite Dangerous and it does look good and I'm itching to get it but I wasn't impressed with paying extra for landing on planets.

So I've decided to wait a while to see how the development goes, especially as No Man's Sky is looking so promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLcjvIQJns0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGy8HIYBwV0

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: No Man's Sky vs Elite Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »
I think I like Elite Dangerous more, because it looks better.
Although, explore planets as a additional possibility is much more fun. Is that a future option of Elite or is it already possible?

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 11:20:36 PM »
Elite meets GTA meets Minecraft! Is there any game that he hasn't plagiarised. Seems to be a bit of a cartoon effect on the graphics but the idea does appeal to me although it does seem that it will be very expensive.

Offline ydy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:00:24 AM »
No man's sky yes, have heard it. It looks interesting but since Horizons is coming I'll stick with Elite.

Exploration has been part of Elite since the beginning unless you mean landing on the planets? Example if you looked at the screenies you can see some of the planets were first discovered by me. You have the whole Milky Way to explore. Landing on the planets and surface vehicles will come part of Horizons and that will be out by Christmas.

Besides exploration, there are mining, bounty hunting, smuggling and trade missions etc. And of course traditional "kill the pirates get bounties" trade to get more credits and be a pirate and mining but most importantly to stay alive :). It really has steep learning curve and it takes time to get used to controls and master things like I've said earlier.

If you expect to get most expensive ship with all the bells and whistles fast, forget it. Although, all the things the game (simulator) offers, you dont need millions, exploration, trading and smuggling can be done with cheaper ships from the beginning. There is no story or end game in traditional sense.

If you are into fast paced action, CQC (Close Quarter Combat) offers that kind of action. I'm not so interested in it. Tried it a bit, its fun but a bit boring. In CQC arenas you can fight against other commanders without the fear losing your ship and credits (insurance 5% of total ship cost) like in "main game". DM, TDM and CTF. Link/tutorial shows quite nicely which is a about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0pInPvo_yU

Then there is a "Power Play" which is  part of the main game. In short you can bledge one of the factions and support and help it by doing combat or trading style of tasks. Link: https://www.elitedangerous.com/en/powerplay

CG, community goals are missions where everybody can participate at the same time. Example, first CG to which I took part several months ago, the goal was to transport metals to certain system to get new space station built. Once you have lot of trades transporting metals like gold, soon you have the pirates trying to get their piece and bounty hunters to protect the shipments and to get bounties. You do this is "Open mode" where all the players are visible to each other (32 players max in one instance if I remember correctly) things get quite interesting.

I usually do a bit everything explore, combat, smuggling. Sometimes I just fly and drink whiskey.

Latest CG im taking part is about destroying certain faction ships in conflict zone (war zone), and after a week or two you see which side has one. More you contribute more credits you'll get. Few days ago flew with couple of commanders in a wing part of the CG and that was really cool. But flying with you guys would be even more fun, hopefully some day :)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:57:13 AM by ydy »

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »
Thanks for the interesting explanation of Elite Dangerous, ydy.

I find accessible planets pretty important so I wait until arround christmas, as Horizons is released.  Besides the planets, I currently have to keep an eye on my gaming-budget, especially since I've preorderd FallOut 4 recently.  :)

Offline ydy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 12:26:18 AM »
Feb my man  ;D
Ok so you bought the main game right? That you can start play right away. DLC, well I dont consider that as DLC, the expansions in my opinion will be essential part of the game although you can play the core game without them. Hmmm I think it is just away for them to get funding to go forward towards the goal they have. DLC for me means less than you get in this case maybe thats the thing Im trying to tell here. My opinion of course...

They call these DLCs "seasons". First season, landing on non atmos planets, second  atmos planets plus new ships, then crafting etc. But yes DLC=Seasons if you will. Damn this phone screen and font sizes...you can buy "Life time pass" but thats more than 100euros if I remember.

Anyways Feb start slooooooow look and do tutorials and play solo first. Tutorials provide some help but I can give you additional tips when Im online and more than happy to do so. First, second and third tip already now: make sure you have enough credits for insurance. Its not DayZ but still....

Offline ydy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 12:30:48 AM »
Oohm ok so you dont have bought the game yet....post I just read...ok.

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:05:46 AM »
Yeah Tuomo, I bought the main game tonight. I'm now practice flying until Horizons is released. Maybe we flight together once :-)

Offline ydy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 09:40:37 AM »
Feb whats your commander name? I can send you friend request and we can fly together.  Here some tips:
>>>>>>Topic
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:42:40 AM by ydy »

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 02:55:12 PM »
My commander name is [RAW] paul.

Flying together will be very nice, but for now I will not be ready to fly at all.  I'am shure a real spaceship is easier to operate :-D

So first work through the tutorials (and your tips).

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 04:06:22 AM »
Yeah, I can launch and dock! It's a start. And sorry Rob, that we've hijacked your thread  :)

Offline mkers

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 05:01:10 PM »
I don't mind lads, you carry on  ;D Some interesting stuff here thanks. I see ydy made another thread just for Elite that's good..

There isn't an official release date for No Man's Sky yet or anywhere nearly as much media as Elite so I suppose started this topic a bit early really.

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 07:28:43 PM »
And thank you, ydy! For now, as wingman I'm still not realy a big help to you (and myself) I'am afraid. So I still stay a little while in 'Solo Mode' for some more practice on myself. Dog Fight for example, since I currently act as a sitting duck as showing to me a few times. And the use (and all possibilities) of the Galaxy Map must also be improved, in order to play the game more smoothly. I let you no soon!

By the way, are the progress and the credits earned in Solo Mode transposable to the Open Mode...?

o7 m8    :)

Offline ydy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 12:55:09 AM »
Yes all the progress, credits and galaxy is the same for all three modes. Galaxy is same for everybody (one galaxy). Open mode if you move a bit away from most populated space it can take weeks or month to see any other human commanders because it is a galaxy after all. Community goal areas are busy of course and systems where people start their careers.
In private group you only see your group members.

Let me know when you are ready I can drop you plenty of palladium or gold if you want to practise scooping ;) we can do that in private group.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:59:56 AM by ydy »

Offline Paul aka Feb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 02:02:23 AM »
Palladium ..? Gold ..!? Woah, I can use the credits so let's practice scooping indeed!!!

No seriously, I made some progression tonight so lets try  :) . Nevertheless lets play at first in 'Private Group' as you suggested, OK? What do you think of oncoming Thursday arround 21.00 CET..?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 02:12:53 AM by Paul aka Feb »